This came from my good friend Kim. She is always cooking up something delicious. This salad is fabulous, especially on a hot, summer day. Great for taking to a gathering as nothing in this recipe can spoil. This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe from Epicurious.com.
Ingredients – this recipe includes peanuts so leave them out if you are allergic to them
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup (or more) fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Far Out Feather Dust
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups black rice (preferably Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice)
- Kosher salt
- 2 just-ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2? dice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, minced
- Remove peel and white pith from oranges.
- Working over a medium bowl to catch juices and using a small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl.
- Squeeze membranes over bowl to release any juices.
- Strain juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; reserve orange segments.
- Add 1/4 cup lime juice, oil, and fish sauce (if using) to bowl with orange juice; whisk to blend.
- Set dressing aside.
- Bring rice and 2 3/4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Season lightly with salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing, and season lightly with salt; let cool.
- Place mangoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and more lime juice, if desired.